It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: hatch hinge fix?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:16 pm 
Active Forum Member
Active Forum Member

What I have in mind is bending the hinges in a vice (like some have done) back to there correct position and then having someone cut a piece of 3/16 flat steel that follows the U shape of the hinge ,and attaching it to the side of hinge with very small grade 8 bolts ,and only put the bolts at the end of steel plate 2 bolts ,no bolts in the U part of hinge where they are bending,the part of the hinge that is taking all the force. May have to put one on each side.with the bolt going through both.Has anyone tried this ?Not for show but good for a driver. feedback welcomed Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:26 pm 
Active Forum Member
Active Forum Member

Sometimes the simplest solution is the best!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:06 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

I have bent mine back to 0.5 and if i find that they stretch over time again, i'll bent them back again. While nerve racking it wasnt that big of a deal. And i wouldnt want to mod the existing ones.. :wink:

:wave
-Stefan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:29 am 
Active Forum Member
Active Forum Member

Hi all
You could probably make your own splints for the Mod. with a jig saw with a metal blade and drill motor (drill press would work be best) and a grinder,and real good large vice. Make them the same width as the flat side of hinge. I would remove struts , then remove hinges, position hatch glass in correct postion closed and start bending hinge a little bit at time until correct (You may have to separate U part from mounting bracket to bend U in vice, you are going to have to any way to trace hinge) Once you have Hinge correct trace the hinge shape on the 3/16 steel flat plate , maybe a thinner plate on both sides would be strong enough.Need some extra ,,, stretched hinges to try this fix any out there ? Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:41 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

I bought a pair that Steve made.Not only are they beautiful works of art he made them out of 1 inch 6061T6 AC billet.These will never stretch.Works great.Also bought a pair of struts that work perfect.They rise up quickly until the last inch or so then it goes real easy with no stress put on the hinge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:27 am 

I think we have figured out that even closed, the struts are putting pressure on the hinges, thats why even the people that don't open the hatch have stretched hinges...

For now I have a set of worn out struts on mine, I have to lift the glass to open it, but at least my hinges haven't stretched again in the past year and a half...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:09 am 
Forum Member
Forum Member

viewtopic.php?t=252