It is currently Sun Jun 23, 2024 2:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rocker panel color
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:37 pm 
Forum Member
Forum Member

:? I finally broke down and painted the rocker panels this weekend. I couldn't stand looking at the faded paint with the scratches and wear marks. I know I've asked before if anybody could tell me the paint code for these pieces but most replies have been that they are a flat black. :shock: While they look a hundred times better being painted a flat trim paint black but they definitely had some brown mixed with the black to give it a different hue. For now I'll live with the black but I'm still going to search for the right color code. :? If I can ever figure out how to post pics I will do so soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:24 pm 

Here's an old link to your question. I don't have the color code for these.

Rocker Panal Color

Looking at all my books, manuals and my originals each rocker panal is Flat Black. I purchased reproductions from Rik's and now have them on. They to are flat black.

NCM Lifetime Member #1353
Iron82

Post subject: Re: Rocker panel color
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:24 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

fester wrote:
:? I finally broke down and painted the rocker panels this weekend. I couldn't stand looking at the faded paint with the scratches and wear marks. I know I've asked before if anybody could tell me the paint code for these pieces but most replies have been that they are a flat black. :shock: While they look a hundred times better being painted a flat trim paint black but they definitely had some brown mixed with the black to give it a different hue. For now I'll live with the black but I'm still going to search for the right color code. :? If I can ever figure out how to post pics I will do so soon.

The SEM is pretty rugged stuff being made to go on aluminum trim outside the car, and I used nothing over it on the hinges, so touch up is easyshould bland well. It does an awesome job on the trim around the windshield, and also the rubber edge around the T-Tops. I did my wife's daily driver CE two years ago and it looks like I just did it!

I'm not sure if the debate over brown vs black for the rocker covers was ever resolved, but if you want satin black, the SEM trim black will do that job also.

This paint is expensive and usually only available at auto body supply companies. However, I recently found it on-line . . and almost $5 cheaper to boot!

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/sem39143.html

To do your windshield trim, obviously wash the car and make sure it is completely dry. If you have compressed air, blow over the trim to get as much water and dust out from under it as you can. Any drop of water hiding in a crack will jump out just as the sray paint nozzle passes over.

Then clean the trim with a prep product. I use PPG 'wax and grease remover', but Dupont 'Prep Sol' is also good. These are stong solvents but are copletely safe to use on your car's finish. In fact they work about 100 times better than 'road tar' or 'bug' or 'goo' removers you get at the auto store. Just remeber they remove the wax also, so re-wax any areas you clean with this stuff.

You must use these products in a specific manner or they will NOT work and in fact will make things worse. To use these products you get the surface very wet and keep it wet continuously for a minute or two . . no rubbing . . and them wipe with a clean rag (I use paper shop towels) while the surface is still wet. Do not use the same area on the wipe rag twice! The solvent dissolves and suspends the silicone and other contaminats. Wetting one rag and wiping it around only moves the contaminants from place to place and may actually drive them further into the surface.

Do not skip the prep step as you surely have silicon on the trim from waxing the car and it will ruin your new trim restoration. Also do not sand befor using the prep or you will grind the silicon into the remaining paint and aluminum surface making it extremely difficult to get out.

Tape off the area and then scuff the surface with 400 grit paper . . no finer than that . . and feather the edges of any chips. Do not wash the area again, and do not touch the surface with your bare skin . . which includes finger tips. If you do, clean it again with the prep product, being carfull not to get big drips into cracks where they can hide and jump out later. This stuff is pretty volitile so if you wait 1/2 hour, it's a safe bet even a big drip is evaporated. Be carefull anyway. Blow with air if you have it and then use a tac rag to remove the last bits of sanding dust and other 'fuzzies' and you are ready to rock.

The SEM trim black is a little weird to use but the finish is dead smooth and even . . pretty amazing stuff. Spray light coats until it is ALMOST smooth. If you don't spray enough it won't flow out smooth, but if you spray till it is smooth, it will lkely run. It's not very forgiving in that sense. It's worth the effort though because this stuff actually sticks to bare aluminum and no other top coat I have ever used will do that. Adhesion promoter solves the adhesion problem, but it is very, very difficult to get a smooth top coat over that stuff.

Post subject: Rocker Panels & Trim
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:05 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Personal Preference, But I thought GM Missed the Boat on the "Black" Rocker Panels. I know that they had a warehouse full of them, but. . .

I wanted my CE's Rocker Panels to be Brown! So I had a Paint shop "Read" the Dark Brown color from the decal, and I have used that paint to do the rockers & Re-do the Tail light coves.

Sorry I don't have a closer Pic.

As far as the SEM Trim Black goes, I agree with what has been said. Good Stuff!