It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:18 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Looks good Dawg. Let us know how the install went and post some pic's please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:34 pm 

DAWG,

They look really good. Can you say 'Smooth and Clear'. :o :lol: :lol:

Pictures would be great. Me see, me see.....

Enjoy the sound. Neat....

NCM Lifetime Member #1353
Iron82

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:26 am 

I got the headers mounted today, didn't have enough time to work on the pipes, but I did the obligatory start up and rev with open headers....

WABAAA WABAAA!!!!!!

The old collector bolts where pretty stubborn, but an impact made short work of them, getting to all of the old header bolts was a little tough, I have big hands so I couldn't hardly reach any of them. and to removing the old headers I used the old twist and shout method...

Getting the new headers in went good, and putting the AC brackets back on with the old spacers (knocked off the old headers) worked too. It was a little work to get the AC stuff all lined up, but the fit of the headers was right on..

The new headers are clearnced in the bolt area, and you can get a box end 3/8's wrench on every one to tighten them down. I was able to get a socket on about half of them. Nice touch when you can do that...

Tomorrow (I hope) I will work on the pipes, and take some pictures...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:17 am 

Finished it up today, added a few new burn marks to my body during the welding process, some from the sparks and splatter... And one half dollar size burn/blister on the palm side of my hand, from reaching up and over a fresh HOT weld. Doh!!!

Remember, this is a backyard job, I couldn't justify the cost of a muffler shop, and the time/distance to Phoenix to get it done at one, so some of the welds (mine) are pretty crappy, and I used as much of the old pipe as I could...

Here's the finished pictures.
Plenty of clearance around the pipes for access to the plugs.
(yeah, my motor is THAT dirty)

From the front, Stan's headers don't seem to hang down as low as all the other brands I have seen, I think I even have a little more ground clearance than before...

Here's my home made X pipe, I just welded to bends together. And I positioned the O2 sensor in it because the wire was there, and there is some protection from the heat shield for flying debries.

From the X pipe to the rear, you can see the used pipes that we kept.

I did get to go out after a little rain storm tonight, I can light up the rears without power braking now. The low RPM torque seems to have increased, I didn't get to run it over about 50mph because of being on the streets, so I will have to wait for another day to go out and run it on the open highway... Also, the wife let me back in the house now that she knows it didn't get any louder.
With the Borla's, it has a real deep growl now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:29 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Looks good. I like the X-pipe. Now you've inspired me to do mine. :)

Post subject: Low end torque
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:11 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Dawg, I would be interested to know if the power gains are distinctly noticeable( like would a ocasional driver know the difference). Not implying that you are an ocasional driver , but I am, as the C.E. is my spouses daily driver and I only ride in it about once every 5 or 6 months. By the way , unless you are a person that makes his living as a welder , those welds aen't bad, nothing to be ashamed of . I am a welder and work with a BUNCH of welders who cant even do that good- Good Job!!! :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:53 am 

Thanks for the compliments on the welds, but you should see the 3rd degree burn on my palm from leaning on a fresh weld.... :x

Seat of the pants, I would say the low end grunt is a little better, nothing major but enough to spin the rears. Your not going to feel the top end unless you do some major changes.

If you really want to feel a difference, then the best bang for the buck is to swap out the rear gears for lower set. Just guessing, but it's probably about $300.00 or so, and you will smoke "em in first and second with ease. Of course this comes with another cost, your highway mileage will suffer a little too. From what I have heard you will gain about 300 rpm at 70mph, and lose about 2 or 3 mpg...

Let me know if this helps, or you need any other info...

Post subject: Gears
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:29 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

You talkin like 3:73's or 3:55's ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:28 pm 

Its something your going to have to decide which ratio to use. Here's a quote from Eds82 on the crossfire forum...
Changed mine out to 3.54 and works out great for me. Using 27 inch tires I'm turning 2000-2100 rpm @ 60mph.
Nice improvement in acceleration plus decent cruising rpm.

A couple of others have gone to 3.73's and one guy (SuperSteve) from Ark. even went to 4.10's. most say the tranny shifts from first to second real fast with the gear changes, not a bad thing. Plus it will really allow you to launch from a stand still...

I do way to much highway driving at 75mph or more out here to justify a gear change, plus I still enjoy running in the triple digits when the opportunity arises. And out here in the Flat, Boring desert, that's quite often... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:33 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Dawg, thanks for the explanation, learnt something again.. It looks very purdy.. Gosh, so many things to do so little time.. I am just trying to be able to make Carlisle in -as-is- condition without stuff falling off. No one pls look under the hood.. :roll: Let's just say, it aint as neat as the Dawg's engine..

And Jules, thanks for the cover there.. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:21 am 

Went on a cruise today (sat) with the ACE vette group up to northern Arizona, after lunch the wife and I broke away from the group and went on to Flagstaff to visit the oldest kid at NAU.

Total miles = 597
Mileage going up the mountain (with lots of WOT to keep up) 22.3
Mileage down the mountain....well you guys will just have to wait until I fill it up again to figure it out.

I did get a couple of blasts over 120, and lots of cruising at 85.

Nothing broke, and just a few complaints from the wife about the speed. All in all it was a fun, but LONG day...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:44 pm 

Well, my lady just hit me hard..... :cry:

Now that it's done I have to sell my vette.... :cry: :(

But the thing is I will get another one within a year. Yes... A shark in the year '82 called CE... :P

I'll be none responsive on emails but I will check in once in a blue moon.
:wink:

Everyone, Enjoy your chit chat. :mrgreen:

Iron82

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:49 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Wow! What could you have possibly done to deserve such a punishment?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:24 pm 

Sorry to see you have to sell it, but at least you state your going to get another one later...

I sent you an email about your "for sale" add. hope you get it soon...
Be sure to tell the new owner about us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:13 am 

CHICKENJERK wrote:
Wow! What could you have possibly done to deserve such a punishment?

Just doing a bad deed I guess... :( Bills most likely.

Desertdawg wrote:
Sorry to see you have to sell it, but at least you state your going to get another one later...

I sent you an email about your "for sale" add. hope you get it soon...
Be sure to tell the new owner about us.

Taken care of and I'll do tell the owner. With the other websites I'm on too. :)

Iron82

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next